Thursday, August 26, 2010

day 2 of student teaching

My first day of student teaching. I was so exhausted after the first day of teaching. I had thoughts of “Is this really what I want to do for the rest of my life”. I know it was more of an overwhelmed feeling than anything else. Thank gosh for the 2nd grade class that finished my day. They were so behaved and well mannered, they reminded me why I’m doing what I’m doing. I also remind myself that I want to teach older children and I knew this was going to be a challenge for myself. As a teacher I know there are going to be some classes that are going to go better than others do. I really enjoy having breakfast duty because I get to know kids names better and get to talk to them outside of the art classroom.

Today I started my student teaching observing in a kindergarten classroom. I actually enjoyed the students they were so eager to learn and they were all so smart. I will have to say kindergarten teachers should get paid more than what they do. If you don’t believe me volunteer in their classroom for one day and you will understand what I mean. To be able to keep those little people’s attention and yet have them learn something new is a pretty hard job.

I’m really excited to start teaching in the classroom. I’m really nervous but excited. I know that I’m not going to be a perfect teacher and I know the more I teach the better I’m going to be. That’s why I chose to teach the fourth and fifth grade first. These guys are the closest to the age group that I would prefer to teach. We’re going to first start with a lesson using glue and pastels and then were going to work our way into printmaking. I hope that printmaking will go pretty smooth, it probably won’t but I can hope. I have a lot of knowledge and experience with printmaking so I hope that excitement will rub off on them.

No comments: